Learn To Ride
How to... identify your bus
Each STARS bus is identified with a route number on it that can be seen from all angles of the bus: on the sides, and on the header on top of the front windshield. The route numbers are the same as identified in this guide. Also, look for the STARS colors of blue and purple to quickly notice your bus!
How to... board the bus
- Arrive at your STARS bus stop sign 3 to 5 minutes before the scheduled departure time.
- Wait at a STARS bus stop sign or at the plaza.
- As the bus approaches, look for the route number and destination street name on the bus.
- Wait for the bus to come to a complete stop, and then board at the front of the bus.
- To save time, always have your STARS Card or cash fare ready before boarding.
- Always carry the exact change or your STARS Card. Operators cannot make change! The Farebox will produce change cards.
- If you need to transfer to another bus to complete your trip, ask the bus operator for a transfer when you board.
- If you are a senior or are disabled, please be sure to have identification ready before boarding. This may include any of the following: STARS picture ID, Medicare card, driver's license or Secretary of State ID card.
- If you are eligible for discounts provided under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), request an ADA application from the STARS customer service desk or by calling (989) 907-4000 and one can be mailed to you.
How to... get off the bus
- STARS' large buses have chords along the side walls that you pull to signal the operators that you would like to get off. Make sure you do so about one block away from your destination so the bus operator will hear the signal in time to let you off.
- Other buses have brightly colored strips mounted along the walls, which you can push to signal you want to get off.
- Exit only when the bus has come to a complete stop. If you will be crossing the street, to ensure safety, wait for the bus to leave and watch for traffic before proceeding.
- Make sure you remove all your personal belongings before you get off the bus.
- If you find an item that another passenger has left on the bus, notify the operator immediately.
- If you have questions for the operator, make sure you ask after the bus has come to a complete stop so he/she is not distracted while operating the bus.